The purpose of National Safety Month is to educate the public on how to lower their risk of injury by making safe decisions. The National Safety Council encourages companies that advocate for safety to share relevant safety tips. This week the safety topic is Slips, Trips, and Falls. Rob Levine & Associates are experts on dealing with slip and fall accidents and want to share some insight on how to lower your risk of a Slip and Fall.
What Are Slip And Fall Accidents?
Slip and Fall accidents are just what they sound like, injuring yourself by tripping and falling. These accidents happen quite frequently and range in severity. There are over one million slip and fall injuries in America annually and about 17,000 of these victims will die due to their injuries.
Most Common Causes
One can become injured by tripping and falling just about anywhere. The most common reasons someone suffers a slip and fall injury are:
- Slippery, wet, or cluttered surfaces- by a pool, in a bathroom, loose floorboards, etc.
- Weather conditions- icy or wet
- Losing balance- occurs most with elderly or disabled
- Workplace neglect- wires or narrow pathways
- Poor footwear choice- shoes without proper traction
Injuries Caused By Slip And Falls
These accidents can cause very minor injuries to permanent damage and even death. Fractures are the most common injury, occurring in about 5% of all falls. Other injuries can include but are not limited to bruising, concussion, back injury, and permanent damage.
How To Prevent Indoor Slips
- Keep walkways clean and clear of any obstacles
- Tape down any wires that could obstruct the walking area
- Make sure that all pathways are well lit
- Clean up spills immediately
- Install railings and anti-slip flooring in high-risk areas (i.e. bathroom and stairs)
How to Prevent Outdoor Slip and Falls
- Keep walkways debris free and well-lit
- Avoid wet and slippery surfaces and make sure these areas have warning signs
- If walking on slippery surfaces, have the proper non-slip footwear available
What To Do After A Slip And Fall Accident
If you are involved in a slip and fall accident it is important to take the necessary precautions, so you don’t further injure yourself. Firstly, take the time to assess the situation. Your instincts will tell you to get up immediately, however, if you are hurt this can worsen your injury. Instead, take the time you need to analyze how you are feeling. Get help immediately and document the situation as much as possible.
Seek Medical Attention
After an accident, no matter how severe, it is always a good practice to get checked out by your health care provider. This will help actualize all of your industries and ensure that you are on the quickest path to recovery.
Contact a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
If your injury was due to someone else’s negligence, you deserve compensation for your injury. Rob Levine & Associates has many years of experience dealing with slip and fall accidents. We will process your claim and get you the money you deserve for your pain and suffering. Our Fee Free Policy guarantees that you do not pay us unless we win your case. Visit Roblevine.com for more information.