What is MS
Have you or a loved one been diagnosed with a type of multiple sclerosis (MS)? If so you may qualify for social security disability. In celebration of multiple sclerosis education month, we want to explain how you can qualify for your benefits.
MS is a chronic autoimmune disease affecting the central nervous system. This disease causes neurological problems and can worsen over time. A few symptoms of MS include but are not limited to:
- Loss of balance and coordination
- Weakness/ numbness in arms and legs
- Spasms in arms and legs
- Loss of hearing and speaking skills
- Memory and concentration loss
- Difficulty in basic motor skills
Since MS is a progressive disease that affects your brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves, it can be very difficult to work. If you have an advanced case of MS that prevents you from working, you may qualify for social security disability benefits.
Qualifications for Disability Benefits
According to section 11.09 of the Social Security Administration blue book, the criteria for disability benefits is:
- Disorganization of motor function in two extremities (see 11.00D1), resulting in an extreme limitation (see 11.00D2) in the ability to stand up from a seated position, balance while standing or walking or use the upper extremities.
- Marked limitation (see 11.00G2) in physical functioning (see 11.00G3a), and in one of the following:
- Understanding, remembering, or applying information (see 11.00G3b(i)); or
- Interacting with others (see 11.00G3b(ii)); or
- Concentrating, persisting, or maintaining pace (see 11.00G3b(iii)); or
- Adapting or managing oneself (see 11.00G3b(iv)).
Contact a social security disability attorney
Filing for social security disability can be difficult. However, with an experienced law firm on your side, you will be able to get through the process quickly and easily.
If you or a loved one has been injured and needs legal help, please contact Rob Levine & Associates for a free consultation. Our Fee Free Policy means that you do not pay unless you win. Our experienced personal injury lawyers will review your case to help you understand what your next steps should be and options available to you.
Rob Levine and Associates are personal injury attorneys who help the injured and disabled. The firm practices law and services Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut on injury cases. Rob Levine and Associates also handles social security disability and veterans disability cases on a regional and national level as well. Our team is available 24/7 to help you. Contact us at 800- 742-3940 or visit our website for more information.