Filing a Claim for VA Disability Compensation
Filing a VA Claim
If you have not filed a claim for VA disability compensation, complete VA Form 526EZ and submit the completed form to your VA Regional Office. If you are not sure where you closest Regional Office is located, go to http://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/offices.asp.
- Initial Application Form: VA Form 526 EZ
If you have filed for VA disability compensation before and were denied or you are looking for an increased rating evaluation, complete VA Form 526b and submit the completed form to your VA Regional Office. Use VA Form 21-526b if:
- You are looking for an increased rating;
- You filed a claim over a year ago that was denied and you have not filed a Notice of Disagreement (or appeal) to the decision;
- You have a disability due to another service-connected disability- this is called a secondary service connection claim, or a “flow-from” claim;
- You are requesting Aid and Attendance Benefits through the VA
- You are requesting Special Monthly Compensation (SMC).
- Application Form: VA Form 526b