Summer is coming to a close and the school year is upon us. With this new season comes a lot more obstacles, traffic, stress and liability on the roads. It is very important to understand the precautions drivers need to take to ensure children are safe. Here are some back to school safety tips:
Dropping off Children at School
If you are dropping your child off at school, make sure you know the drop-off procedure. These directions are enforced to ensure the safety of the children.
All school zones require that there be:
- No double-parking, this decreases visibility of vehicles and pedestrians.
- No picking up or dropping off of children across the street from the school.
Most institutions have staff monitoring the drop off zones to guarantee the procedure goes as planned.
Tip: Carpool to reduce the number of vehicles at the school. Not only does this help reduce traffic, but it also lowers the chance of a child becoming injured due to lack of visibility.
Sharing the Road with Children
A lot of children will commute to and from school by walking or riding their bikes. This means that there needs to be an increase in precautionary measures drivers take to make sure that children are not hit or injured. This is not only because there are more people on the road, but also because children are still in the learning process of obeying traffic laws and making sure the coast is clear.
- Never block a crosswalk! Children are taught to use this and without it, they could potentially be put in the path of moving traffic.
- Always yield to pedestrians. Whether it is a school monitor, children, etc., it is always very important to be aware of who is around you.
- Be extra observant for pedestrians around school zones, playgrounds, and areas where children play.
- When passing a child on a bike or walking on the road, give them as much space as possible and slow down to a minimum speed.
Being hit with a car can cause serious injury and even death. It is very important to realize that with school being in session there is an increase of children on the streets in the morning before school starts, and in the afternoon when school is being dismissed. Be extra observant especially during these timeframes.
Sharing the Road with School Buses
School buses are also important to watch for while driving. These vehicles stop very frequently to drop off children to their homes.
- Allow a greater distance between the school bus and your vehicle than you would normally.
- Never pass a school bus that is stopped to unload children. This is not only against the law, but creates a very dangerous crossing zone for children.
Children are often unpredictable and therefore require much more attention when on the road. It is imperative to the safety of these children that vehicles on the road are following these safety tips and always keeping their eyes on the road.
If you or a loved one has been injured and needs legal help, please contact Rob Levine & Associates. Our experienced personal injury lawyers will review your case to help you understand what your next steps should be. Getting legal help can put your mind at ease and let your focus on getting better.
At Rob Levine & Associates we are experienced in personal injury cases in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. Our team is available 24/7 to help you. Contact us at 888-533-7507 or visit our website for more information.